Naast alle Italiaanse exotica zou je bijna durven vergeten dat er op de EICMA nog ‘gewone’ superbikes gepresenteerd worden. Niet van de minste zelfs, want BMW pakt uit met een compleet vernieuwde S 1000 RR. De motor beschikt over alle mogelijke snufjes om aanspraak te maken op de titel van ‘de snelste superbike’. Hieronder vind je foto’s, highlights uit het persbericht en helemaal onderaan de technische fiche.
UPDATE: BMW heeft aangegeven van opnieuw een full factory WSBK team op te starten met Tom Sykes en Markus Reiterberger!
De motor werd helemaal vernieuwd, al is het moeilijk om niet onder de indruk te zijn van de prestaties en de motor die voortaan niet enkel een contraroterende krukas heeft, maar ook variabele kleptiming. In het persbericht klinkt het als volgt:
“With a completely newly developed engine and suspension, engine output increased by 6 kW (8 hp) to 152 kW (207 hp) (in the USA: 151 kW (205 hp)) and a weight reduction of 208 kg to 197 kg (193.5 kg with M Package), the supersports bike originally launched in 2009 now goes into its third completely new generation.
In particular because BMW Motorrad has moved the assistance systems such as traction and wheelie control, ABS and Hill Start Control to a whole new level; the same applies to the LED lighting system and large TFT screen.
Newly developed engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for further enhanced power in the lower and medium engine speed range and increased top-end power.
With its newly developed 4-cylinder in-line engine, now 4 kg lighter than before, the new RR achieves an entirely new level of performance. For this purpose, not only was the geometry of the intake and exhaust ports further optimised, the motorcycle now also comes with BMW ShiftCam Technology – an entirely new technology for BMW motorcycles which varies the valve timings and valve strokes on the intake side. A revised intake passage and a new exhaust system that is 1.3 kg lighter likewise contribute to increased overall performance. Ridability and sprint capability benefit from a substantially increased torque across a wide engine speed range.”
• 4 kg lighter, newly developed 4-cylinder in-line engine with
BMW ShiftCam Technology for variation of valve timings and valve strokes on the intake side.
• Increased output and torque: 152 kW (207 hp) (in the USA: 151 kW (205 hp)) at 13 500 rpm and 113 Nm at 11 000 rpm.
• At least 100 Nm of torque from 5 500 to 14 500 rpm.
• Effort-saving, linear torque curve: further improved ridability and controllability due to increased torque in the lower and medium engine speed range.
• Newly developed suspension featuring Flex Frame, with the engine taking on more of a load-bearing function.
• Significantly improved ergonomics due to Flex Frame.
• Refined suspension geometry for further improved handling, increased traction and crystal-clear feedback in the threshold range.
• Further developed electronic damping adaptation
Dynamic Damping Control DDC with new valve generation as an optional equipment item.
• New rear wheel suspension weighing 300 g less than before with Full Floater Pro kinematics.
• Weight reduction of 11 – 14.5 kg to 197 kg when fully fuelled (DIN unladen) and 193.5 kg with M Package.
• New exhaust system weighing some 1.3 kg less, with front silencer. • New 6-axis sensor cluster.
• Further developed Dynamic Traction Control DTC as standard
• DTC Wheelie Function as standard.
• Adjustable (+/- shift) DTC Wheelie Function as an optional equipment item. • Engine brake function, adjustable.
• ABS Pro for increased safety when braking, also in banking position, as standard.
• New riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Race” as standard and “Pro Modes” option with three additional configurable modes “Race Pro 1-3” for optimum individual adaptation to conditions.
• Launch Control for perfect starts comes with “Pro Modes” option.
• Pit Lane Limiter for precise pit lane speeds also included with the “Pro Modes” option.
• Shift Assistant Pro for fast up and down shifting without clutch, standard. • Shift pattern can easily be reversed.
Electronic cruise control as an ex works option.
• New instrument panel with 6.5-inch screen offering excellent readability and featuring a Pure Ride screen as well as three Core screens.
• LED light units all round.
• Turn indicators with new “Comfort Indicator” function.
• Completely newly designed body elements for even more dynamic styling and optimum aerodynamics.
• Two colour schemes for the market launch: Racing Red and Motorsport paint finish.
• Extended range of special accessories and ex-work options.